What is Prototyping in relation to Curriculum Redesign in Alberta? Its an engagement strategy by Alberta Education to inform the writing of a new K-12 Provincial Curriculum in the 6 core subject areas of Math, Language Arts, Science, Social Studies, Wellness, and French.
After reading through the Alberta Education and CBE Convening Conversations guide, here is my summary of the document – as much as for synthesizing my own understandings as for sharing out information for others.
The CBE is the lead school division for grades 4-6, 7-9, and 10-12 and is partnering with 7 other school divisions across Alberta to produce the deliverables of draft scope and sequence and program of studies to Alberta Education.
Everyone has a place in this work. The prototyping process is meant to answer the following questions
1. what learning and instructional content will best support students in becoming engaged thinkers, ethical citizens with an entrepreneurial spirit?
2. what learning and instructional content will best support students in achieving success in understanding, working with, and creating knowledge?
3. what learning and instructional context will best support students in becoming literate and numerate in today and tomorrow’s society?
4. what learning and instructional content will best support students developing cross curricular competencies?
5. what resources and assessments will support students high level of achievement?
The belief is that attempts to answer these questions will bring us to the heart of how and what students should learn in Alberta and what our obligations are to students and society within education.
I’ll be convening community conversations over the next 3 weeks or so. The first will be at the Global, Environmental, and Outdoor Education Specialist Conference in Canmore, AB April 25, 2014. Please join me there for this important conversation about the future of curriculum in Alberta. If you;d like to invite me to facilitate a community conversation around curriculum redesign in the next few weeks, please get in touch with me – firstname.lastname@example.org
Env/Outdoor Education Consultant
Calgary Board of Education